Stack linking is a dashboard level setting that you can use to attach metadata that describes what type of content you are showing on your dashboard. It allows you to attach the dashboard to components that show-up in the hierarchy in the Explore Tab. After you create a custom Dashboard (Beta), you can link it to Explore so it appears in your Kubernetes hierarchy.
This page shows you how to link a custom Dashboard (Beta) to your Kubernetes stack in Explore. In our example we link our custom Dashboard (Beta) Googleapp Deployment Stats dashboard to our Kubernetes stack so that it appears in Explore for easy selection.
Linking a dashboard to your Kubernetes stack in Explore
You can link a custom Dashboard (Beta) to your Kubernetes stack in Explore by specifying a metadata key-value pair:
- Key—Metadata describing the type of content shown in the dashboard
- Value(s)—Component to which the dashboard links in the hierarchy
For more information on metadata key-value pairs, see Create key-value pairs and master metadata.
To link a custom Dashboard (Beta) to your Kubernetes stack in Explore, do the following:
- From your custom dashboard, click the Details icon in the upper right corner of the window and select Create Slack Linking from the drop-down menu.
- In the Dashboard Stack Linking dialog, enter a Key that describes the dashboard. We entered deployment.
- Now enter a Value, the component to which the dashboard will be linked in the Explore hierarchy. We entered googleapps.
- Click Apply to apply the key-value pair, then click the Save icon in the upper right corner of the dashboard to save the dashboard.
- To verify the dashboard link, select the component Kubernetes View and navigate to the component location. For our example, we selected the Kubernetes Deployment View, expanded the prod01.travellogic.info cluster and clicked googleapps.
- Next, click the Dashboards drop-down arrow and select the name of the linked dashboard. In our example, we selected Googleapp Deployment Stats.
The linked custom Dashboard (Beta) appears in the window below.